Wednesday, March 7, 2012

40 bags: week two

It's week two...
I've been averaging six spaces a week (there are technically 46 days in Lent, so I am taking Sunday's off for the most part). 

I'm posting an update every 6-7 days, so here are spaces 8-14:


Day 8: fridge & freezer. 
See you later expired salad dressing, droopy produce, 
and freezer-burnt chicken.


Day 9: laundry room cupboards.
I figured the extra inspiration was a nice touch, featuring T's thoughtful 6-month workout challenge gift to us girls.
(And this Instagram totally made us want to crack Gary & Elaine jokes.)


Day 10: mudroom closet.
Our laundry room and mudroom are one and the same. 
Mudroom lockers are on the wish list, but until then this is it. 
(We also have some hooks and storage out in the garage.) 

The non-everyday coats are hung up higher, and I moved their flip flops and Crocs to a basket in the garage. I cleared out a box of outgrown shoes as well. On average, my scariest space.


Day 11: make-up drawer (+ other master bath drawers), before.
My dear friends didn't believe me that this the actual state of my make-up drawer. I'm flattered, but this is really what it looked like.


Day 11: make-up drawer, after.
Lots of trash and parting with not-for-me colors. 
In Matt's drawer, I found an Avon calendar chapstick dated 2007 :)


Day 12: the rest of the master bath.
It's not a huge bathroom, but I went through our toiletry stash in the shower/tub and in this little storage closet. I'm parting with some things that either didn't work for me or that I just didn't use. 
I'm bringing them to some craft night girls who will be happy to use them up for me instead (everybody wins!).


Day 13: dresser drawers.
This included socks, undies, jeans, swimsuits and workout clothes. 
Threw out a bag of trash (good-bye sad, old socks!) and added a handful of nice (but not for me) things to the donate pile.


Day 14: my closet.
I went through the mother of all closet purges about a year ago this time after being inspired by Project 333. The idea is to limit yourself to 33 items of clothing, accessories, jewelry, outerwear, and shoes as an experiment in living with less. 
I didn't quite go that far, but I did get rid of a lot (after three pregnancies in five years, things were in a sorry state.)

This made Day 14's task that much easier, but I still had accumulated some clothing riff raff in the meantime. One of my favorite things about last year's closet clean-up was the addition of these wooden hangers. The pile above is what I emptied out today.


I have found that when you start out your day in an organized space - a neat closet, dresser drawers that aren't overflowing, a bed that's made (if you need 10 reason why, go here), a make-up drawer that's under control - you start your day off on the right foot. 

The kids still need breakfast, the laundry needs to be put away, your to-do list is still sitting down by the desk...but at least for the first few minutes of your day, there is order and peace.

{Linking Up}
IHeart Organizing

4 comments:

  1. I always feel better when things are organized and in their place. Not only is it easier to find what you're looking for, but just seems to make life a whole lot easier! New to your blog and glad to have found your creative space on the web:D Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been a busy organizing bee! Well done! :)

    I love the look/functionality of your mudroom/closet!

    Some small containers in your make-up drawer may help keep it tidy long term.

    Cheers & Happy organizing!

    ~H

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your make-up drawer! I have a little bucket :) inside a larger box - I should post it sometime!

    I see you're a Clinique fan. I'm on the hunt for the PERFECT lipstick colour. I'm kind-of obsessed by only using one colour that's 100% right for me.

    Well, I went to Clinique and saw the perfect 05 colour and it was.... R210. That's about $28 which is a lot for me for ONE lipstick. What does Clinique lipstick cost where you live? If you don't mind saying...

    And secondly, I love those wooden hangers. Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...